Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
- Ph.D., Centre for Social Medicine and Community Health, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- M.Phil., Centre for Social Medicine and Community Health, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- M.A. Social Work, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai
Her research areas encompass the study of public-private partnerships in healthcare (origin, evolution and spread in India across different levels of care); how the restructuring of the state’s role in healthcare has impacted healthcare workforce and studying midwifery practices, emerging policy concerns around birthing and maternal healthcare in India and its interaction with biomedicine.
Special Issue Editor
- Indian Journal of Gender Studies, 23 (1) 2016 Special Issue: Gender and Commercialisation of Health Care
- With Srinivasan, C., Dasgupta, J., Som, M., Karpagam, S., Contractor, S., & Priyadarsh. Medico Friend Circle Bulletin 381 (2023) Special issue: Caste, Tribe and Religion: Institutionalized Discrimination in Health
- Bijoya Roy, Fabiana da Cunha Saddi, Stephen Peckham, Maria Pereira Barretos, Critical policy capacity factors in the implementation of the community health worker program in India, Policy and Society, Volume 42, Issue 1, March 2023, Pages 90–103, https://doi.org/10.1093/polsoc/puac032
- Roy B. (2021) Commercialization of Healthcare in India: COVID 19 and Beyond. Indian Journal of Medical Ethics. Published online first on June 5, 2021. DOI: https://doi.org/10.20529/
- Chakravarthi, I., Roy, B., Mukhopadhyay, I., and Barria, S. (2017) Investing in Health – Healthcare Industry in India. Economic & Political Weekly Vol LII, No. 45
- Roy, B. (2017) Aspiring for Universal Health Coverage through Private Care, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 52, Issue No. 16, 22 April
- Roy, B. (2016) Corporate Hospitals in India and Representation of Women’s Medical Care, Indian Journal of Gender Studies, Vol. 23, No. 1.
- Roy, B. (2016) Introduction, Indian Journal of Gender Studies, Vol. 23 No. 1,
- Roy, B. (2014) Restructuring and Shifting Boundaries: What does it mean for Maternal Health care?, Samyukta : A Journal of Women’s Studies, Vol. XIV, No. 2.
- Karpagam, S., Roy, B., Seethappa, V. K., & Qadeer, I. (2013) Evidence Based Planning – A Myth or Reality: Use of Evidence by the Planning Commission on Public Private Partnership, Social Change, Vol. 43, No. 2, pp 213-226
- Roy, B., and Siddharta, Gupta, (2011) Public-Private Partnership and User Fees in Healthcare: Evidence from West Bengal, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XLVI, No. 38, Sept. 17-23, pp 74-78.
- Roy, B. (2010) Outsourcing of Service Provisioning and Changing Employment Relationship in Public Sector Hospitals of West Bengal, The Indian Journal of Labour Economics, Vol. 53 No.(2), pp 409-422
- Roy, B. (co-authored with Husain Z and S Ghosh) (2009) ‘Top heavy’ systems and quality of health care: A survey of select departments in R.G. Kar Medical College and Hospital, India”, Social Medicine, Vol.4, No.2
- Roy, B. Restructuring Public Sector Hospital Services: Marginalising the Poor available online at http://www.esocialsciences.com
- Roy B, (2022) Government Hospitals in India: Changing Landscape through Public-Private Partnerships as in Saxena K B (ed.) Private Sector Participation in Public Services: Health, Aakar Publication, New Delhi
- Roy B, Qadeer I, Sadgopal M, Chawla J, and Gautam S. (2021) Giving Birth at Home in Resource-Scarce Regions of India: An Argument for Making the Women-Centric Approach of the Traditional Dais Sustainable as in Gutschow K and Davis-Floyd R. (eds.) Sustainable Birth in Disruptive Times, Springer Series: Global Maternal and Child Health https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-54775-2_15#citeas
- Role of Public-Private Partnerships in Ensuring Universal Healthcare for India in Qadeer I, Saxena KB and Arathi PM (eds) Universalising Healthcare in India: From Care to Coverage, 2019, Aakar Books, New Delhi
- (With Karpagam S, Vasan A, Gajraj E, Qadeer I) A Critical look at Public-Private Partnership dor Health Service in Karnataka in Qadeer I, Saxena KB and Arathi PM (eds) Universalising Healthcare in India: From Care to Coverage, 2019, Aakar Books, New Delhi
- Roy, B. (2015) Public Private Partnership in Healthcare: Trajectories and Experiences from West Bengal in I Qadeer (Ed.) INDIA: Social Development Report 2014: Challenges of Public Health, Oxford University Publication, New Delhi.
- Qadeer, I., Roy, B., and Gautam, S. (2015) Must History repeat itself? The Role of Dais in Maternity Care in Backward Districts of Himachal Pradesh In Qadeer I (Ed.) INDIA: Social Development Report 2014: Challenges of Public Health, Oxford University Publication, New Delhi.
- Roy, B. (2010) User Fee Policy in West Bengal: A Case Study in Kelley Michele and Dsouza Deepika (Eds.), The World Bank in India: Undermining Sovereignty, Distorting Development, Orient Black Swan, New Delhi.
- 2021 Roy B. Maternity Care Provision, Medical Dominance and Healthcare Market in India, Centre for Women’s Development Studies, New Delhi
- 2020 Roy B. Healthcare Providers and the Covid-19 Crisis: Mapping Specific Experiences and Ground Realities in India. Centre for Women’s Development Studies, and RLS South Asia, New Delhi.
- 2016 Singh, A., Roy, B., Qadeer, I., Chawla, J., Caleb, L., Sadgopal, M., and Gautam, S. Establishing the Scope and Pattern of Care by Dais During and After Childbirth in Four Cultural and Geographic Settings in India: The Jeeva Project Study Report, CWDS, New Delhi.
- 2017 Roy, B. Book Review: Sarah Hodges and Mohan Rao (Eds), Public Wealth and Private Wealth: Stem Cells, Surrogates and Other Strategic Bodies. New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2016, Indian Journal of Gender Studies February, Vol.24, No.1.
- 2020 Roy, B. Community Health Workers: Gender, Work and Remuneration: A Study of South Asia, Occasional Paper No. 66, Centre for Women’s Development Studies, New Delhi.
- 2008 Husain, Z., Ghosh, S., and Roy, B. Socio-Economic Profile of the Users in Public and Private Sector Hospitals of Kolkata, Occasional Paper No. 14, Institute of Development Studies Kolkata
- 2023 Roy, B. (forthcoming) Metro, Mobility and the Risks of Quick Bite, Kloud9 Magazine
- 2023 Roy, B., Sandhya Gautam and Imrana Qadeer Birth Work, Knowledge and Caste: Traditional Birth Attendants in India, Medico Friend Circle Bulletin 381, p 25-29
- 2018 Roy, B. Public Private Partnership / P3s in Health Sector in India, Medico Friend Circle Bulletin 379, July. http://www.mfcindia.org/mfcpdfs/MFC379.pdf p 29-31
- 2018 Roy, B. Growing Informalisation of Workforce and Public sector Hospitals in India, Medico Friend Circle Bulletin 377-378, February. http://www.mfcindia.org/mfcpdfs/MFC377-378.pdf p 24-26
- 2017 Roy, B. Why Public-Private Collaboration is Bad News for Healthcare in India. The Wire. https://thewire.in/health/ppp-healthcare-health-policy March 20.